Lafourche Parish Public Schools Philosophy
Since the public schools of Louisiana are expected to adhere to democratic principles, the philosophy of education for Lafourche Parish must also serve democratic purposes.
Democracy is concerned with the individual’s living as a part of the group. It is based on the principle that man realizes his optimum development by sharing in the larger life of the group. It embraces the thesis of the dignity and of the unique value of each individual personality. It subscribes to Emerson’s dictum that “all men are capable of living by reason.” It resolves the inevitable conflicts that arise between the individual and the group by increasing the scope of their common interests. In a school system which is based on a democratic philosophy of education, the whole problem of meeting individual differences can be solved by answering the following questions:
- What is best for the child concerned?
- What is best for the social group to which the child belongs?
Lafourche Parish Public Schools Mission, Vision and Belief
Lafourche Parish public schools strive to offer exemplary academic, career, co-curricular and extra-curricular programs to develop in all students a strong sense of responsibility, citizenship, and respect for others in a safe and nurturing environment.
Lafourche Parish public schools are committed to helping all students become lifelong learners, realize their full potential, appreciate the relevance of their education, and become empowered for success.
1. Education is the first priority.
2. All children can learn.
3. Open and honest communication builds trust.
4. High expectations must be set for everyone.
5. Efficient and effective fiscal management is imperative.
6. Collaboration with parents and community agencies reduces barriers to learning.
7. Early childhood programs enable students to come to school prepared to learn.
8. Shared decision-making and accountability enhance school effectiveness and increases student achievement.